Thursday, January 8, 2009

a quickie about work

Okay, so it's Thursday afternoon, I've just refilled my water cup, located some hard candy, and now my blood pressure is coming back down. I know you don't know where I work or what I do, but here's something that's just about to put me over the edge.

I work in phone sales. I and the other 9 people in my unit all make about 100 outbound calls daily. In addition to that, there's an inbound hotline that adds anywhere from 50 to 100 more calls to the day's workload. That's a pretty busy day - like, I'm sure, your work day is. On Fridays we have new products that are available. Some stores have signed up to receive new products automatically, "autodistribution" if you will. In addition to those store receiving new products the day they're available; the stores we call on Friday also have first dibs at new product. Today is Thursday. There are no new games today; however the people who pay attention and know that there are new games or would like more packs than their autodistribution is set for, when Friday morning rolls around, we can just send them the additional packs for delivery on Monday. This is a pretty basic service, our customers appreciate it and we ship additional product. Win - Win, right?

Okay, so you see my point here that telling those people when speaking to them today, Thursday, to go ahead and CALL BACK tomorrow, Friday, just to get those games, seems asinine. Talk about a shitty way of doing business and a "make tomorrow even busier than it needs to be" move.

I'm a big picture person and I understand sales. Let's say that person decides not to call back or gets too busy or whatever - now they've been without that product even longer, the customers didn't find it at their favorite location and it turns into a negative situation with hurt feelings and resentment? Let's just send them the packs.

No comments: