Monday, November 10, 2008

Good ol' Lake Delton

There's a place in South Central Wisconsin - the Wisconsin Dells/Lake Delton area and that's where I'm from. Specifically more the Lake Delton part, but being small, we Deltonians attend the Wisconsin Dells school system, so to save time and explanation; we generally say, "I'm from the Dells."
You may recall that beautiful, man-made, Lake Delton (the actual lake, not the town of the same name) is now not so much a lake, but a mud hole. http://www.channel3000.com/news/16559796/detail.html
There's a new lake on the horizon and an opportunity to "adopt" the fish that will be used to restock it.
Visit: http://fish4lakedelton.wordpress.com/ for more information or to adopt fish.
When I heard about this project I thought it seemed like a fine way to complete Christmas shopping for my father and father-in-law and to do something good for mankind and future generations of "Deltonians."
Dad, if you have somehow found my website, try to look surprised if indeed you are honored with fish adoptions for Christmas.

This event, the loss of Lake Delton in June '08, the discussions on refilling and restocking it got me thinking. Thinking about the fun I had growing up there, visiting the Bartlett show, eating at one of the restaurants on the lake, boating with my husband while we were still dating, and learning to fish from my dad.

I have a particularly funny Dad and Bridge boating/fishing story to share. Like most, I am like my dad in at least a couple of ways. I look like him (Mom, I know I know, you say I look like you) I act like my dad, share his "temper", I try to see humor in everything, and I enjoy fishing and boating. We also share a love of Dairy Queen's Snicker-flavored frozen treats.

One evening during my teens, Dad had just gotten a new bass boat and we wanted to see how fast she'd go and then reward ourselves with frozen, Snicker-flavored heaven in a cup.
Dad and I are zooming around the lake about dusk, fewer F.I.B.s at that hour, creating more free space to see what "top-end" on the new Skeeter meant. We make a few trips around the lake, trailer the boat, and head off to DQ for our rewards. Now we are standing in an actual electronically lit environment that is not short on patrons, F.I.B. or otherwise, at that time and simultaneously notice the array of dead bugs across each other's forehead. We quickly brush the lifeless remains from ourselves (it's just not polite to eat ice cream with slaughter on your head) and take our turn at that counter laughing hysterically. I wish you were there, but maybe with the size of the crowd that night maybe you were and you've been laughing about the people that came in with foreheads full of bug guts.

No comments: